Croatian Castles and Palaces

Croatia has more than seven thousand significant architectural objects of historic beauty, romantic intrigue, pride… and among them are about one thousand castles and palaces.

So Croatia has an impressive number of fortifications: almost every city on the coast and many on the mainland boast city walls or a fort or two. Over the centuries, Croatia’s lords and noble families were also busy building castles and palaces.
The distinction between these various structures is sometimes a little blurred, but generally, castles provided both protection and housing for a specific lord or noble family, while forts were not generally private residences, and palaces were not fortified.
Of Croatia’s castles, many are now in disrepair, but several have been well preserved or recently restored (like the Eltz Palace in Vukovar devastated by the Serb aggression in 1990’s) and have opened their doors to the public as museums or venues for events such as plays and musical performances. You could spend days hunting castles in Croatia and here are some that I like in the continental part of Croatia. (Click on image to enlarge)

Cakovec Castle Croatia

Palace Orsic Gornja Bistra Croatia

Palace Orsic Gornja Bistra Croatia

Palace Janusevec Zapresic Croatia

Palace Janusevec Zapresic Croatia

Castle Luznica Zapresic Croatia

Castle Luznica Zapresic Croatia

Comments

1. omtatjuan says:

Those are totally totally cool…

2. These are absolutely stunning!

3. These castles are so romantic and the settings of some of them are splendid. It was refreshing to see this part of Croatia not tainted by politics:)

4. So beautiful and so much wonderful history.! Thank you so much for posting these photos 🙂

5. Dobra večer!
    Čestitke za postavljanje! 🙂
    Mi smo predstavili pravu lekciju u povijesti Hrvatske! 😆
    Hvala vam!
    Aljoša

• Translation of comment by Aliosa: Good evening! Congratulations on posting this. A true lecture in history of Croatia. Thank you!
      REPLY: Thank you Aliosa, much appreciate your feedback 😀

6. fabianalvareza says:

Reblogged this on Fabián.

7. It’s a good thing I don’t live in a country that has more than a 300-year history. I’d go through so many cameras and would have billions and billions and billions of pictures instead of just thousands.

8. Michael Silovic says:

Thanks for sharing the beauty of Croatia with us. Croatia is such a beautiful country as a whole and sometimes people only get to see the coastal lines and not the rest of the country. I only wish that the goverment would do more to promote the interior regions so that all the people could benefit from tourism.Keep up the good work.

• Yes Michael, I think the same – we see so much of the coastal part of Croatia everywhere and the continental gets left behind in the tourism scene, which is a shame as “country” places to be and country things to do are jus as wonderful as those at the seaside.

Liked by 1 person

9. I had no idea that Croatia had so many beautiful structures. Thank you for putting these pictures up and also for the written information.

Liked by 1 person

10. This has made me think! The only castle that I can remember is on the island of Hvar!

• There are so many more, Andrew, and while I love the ones on the coast, there’s a special spot in my heart for the castles of the inland even if I was born and spent much of my childhood on the Croatian coast, island, filled with historic grandeurs

11. Very interesting and a surprise. The romance is important. The balance of the good/ bad gives us a treated picture of the country. I am greatful that you blogged this. Hugs and happiness, Barbara

12. Reblogged this on idealisticrebel and commented:
    This is important.

13. Reblogged this on Tammy Hopkinson MBA and commented:
    Interesting information!

14. Wow, thanks for sharing these. I love castles and beautiful buildings. They somehow add to the wonder of humanity and are like works of art to be enjoyed. I’ve never been to Croatia. Maybe one day…

15. More than one thousand castles and palaces!

I would never of thought there remained so many, even now – and in a fairly small country as Croatia. A true haven for tourism, I would reckon.

Eric 🙂

• Yes Eric it is quite special – such a relatively small country with so many castles and palaces and manors…not to count fortresses… through these one gets the history where foreign powers have always had their eye on that piece of beautiful paradise on Earth, hence stately homes in particular across the continental part and fortresses along the Dalmatian coast with lots of palaces too. Cheers

16. I’ve been saving this all day until I had time to watch it. These places are stunning, Ina. My favourite was Castle Trakoscan on its high hill. Really beautiful 🙂

• And it even better close-up, when you’re there, Amelia! The surrounds I think are more beautiful and picturesque than Switzerland or Austria – I may be a bit biased but I bet if you went and saw it you’d say: No you’re not, Ina. 😀

17. I want to visit!!! Gorgeous!

18. Wonderful post.The Architect is magnificent.Jalal

19. There’s so many things to see in Croatia, that I don’t know how I’ll ever get around to exploring the country. I need millions, hahaha! It’s great to see castles and palaces from regions other than the coast, though I do have a personal preference for Dalmatia. 😀

20. Very beautiful… Some new additions to my list of places to see. Thank you for sharing them! And thank you for being the Beautiful woman and human being you are, thank you for being you and sharing with us who you are and the love in your heart! 🙂

21. very,very beautiful places .. good day dear Madam

22. Moederlief says:

It is such a beautiful country and there are so many gems yet to discover. Lovely pictures, lovely castles.

23. Lovely castles.

24. Rob Smith says:

If you want to see real castles, go to France!

Liked by 1 person

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Disclaimer, Terms and Conditions:

All content on “Croatia, the War, and the Future” blog is for informational purposes only. “Croatia, the War, and the Future” blog is not responsible for and expressly disclaims all liability for the interpretations and subsequent reactions of visitors or commenters either to this site or its associate Twitter account, @IVukic or its Facebook account. Comments on this website are the sole responsibility of their writers and the writer will take full responsibility, liability, and blame for any libel or litigation that results from something written in or as a direct result of something written in a comment. The nature of information provided on this website may be transitional and, therefore, accuracy, completeness, veracity, honesty, exactitude, factuality and politeness of comments are not guaranteed. This blog may contain hypertext links to other websites or webpages. “Croatia, the War, and the Future” does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of information on any other website or webpage. We do not endorse or accept any responsibility for any views expressed or products or services offered on outside sites, or the organisations sponsoring those sites, or the safety of linking to those sites. Comment Policy: Everyone is welcome and encouraged to voice their opinion regardless of identity, politics, ideology, religion or agreement with the subject in posts or other commentators. Personal or other criticism is acceptable as long as it is justified by facts, arguments or discussions of key issues. Comments that include profanity, offensive language and insults will be moderated.
%d bloggers like this: